- What is Bitrex?
- Preventing poisoning
- Taste Test
- Contact Us
A serious “skoosh”
There were headlines last year when a motorist was fined £600 for having an unsafe car. Among the three dangerous flaws the police found there was the matter of an empty windscreen washer bottle.
If that seems a bit harsh to you it’s worth considering that one of the most important thing for any driver, maybe THE most important thing is being able to see what’s going on in front of the car.
And this is a good time of the year to think about it too. Not just because early frosts can strike from mid-October, but even if it’s not that cold it is the time of year when roads get filthy and visibility can become more difficult.
Water isn’t enough. Not just because a big ice-cube under the bonnet of your car isn’t very good at clearing windscreens, but screen-wash contains agents that will cut through the dirt and the grime.
But screen-wash isn’t something you want to let a toddler or child get hold off. It looks and smells exciting so it’s not something to leave lying around. Treat it as you would any other potential dangerous household product – safely locked out of reach.
And as a last line of defence look out for brands like Prestone who include Bitrex, the safety additive that makes screen-wash taste so horrible that even the most determined child would be very unlikely to swallow it.